Wednesday, September 15, 2010

On a shoestring project part 3

Part 3

Things are rolling on nicely :-) We had a first rehearsal last week, with me and the bass player. We are still looking to fill the rest of the line-up, and we'll keep you posted. There is one rough track up on MySpace, Reverbnation, and Facebook and on the side bar of this blog (and I will keep on posting more tracks all the way through the project). It was recorded on iPhone just on the coffee table of my living room. I am trying to keep the rehearsals as long as possible in my flat, before I start spending money on rehearsal room fees; it's all about keeping the costs down.
Other progresses; I registered my domain for my website, the address will be www.jpkallio.com and I hope it will be up and running soon. I used www.godaddy.com. This domain cost me $11.64, les than €10. And it is for a year, and they will automatically re-register it for me next year, unless I decide against it. There is a debate about the domains, .com .ie.co.uk and so forth, you can get free domains from http://www.nic.cz.cc/ with .cz.cc ending if this sounds too steep for you, but this might scare some people away from your site... Also I don't really know if there are any security aspects here to take in consideration, but a friend of mine works for an internet security company and on his recommendation I went for the GoDaddy and got an .com. All I can say here is that if this mater is a big deal for you, and then do some more research in the subject.
As to web space, well here is where I scored my second freebie :-) And unless you have huge budget, which I assume you don't as you are reading this, you need to score few freebies on the way. As I mentioned, friend of mine works for an internet security company... well he owns it. And he offered me some free web space on their server. So big thanks to Greg and SC2labs (www.sc2labs.com)! Now I know you all don't have friends with their own servers and all, but ask around, you might be surprised. Nevertheless, there are loads of companies that offer space for next to nothing, and some even for free. So go and Google and do your research, before settling for one that suits you the best.
Oh yeah I mentioned the Reverbnation, I would recommend registering with them www.reverbnation.com If you open an artist account, you can upload songs and get a handy player for your web site, like the one on the side bar of this block. They have loads of customizing options, and in my honest opinion the sound quality is much better than on MySpace. They also offer bags full of services, some for free and some for small fee. Hold on to your money for time being, we'll go through these on later date. You can find me www.reverbnation.com/jpkallio
Now here is a bit of an advice that I am sure most of you won't take, but it is worth a lot of money on the long run and gives you more freedom: Learn some basic HTML! It is not as scary as you think, and the net is filled with free recourses. I won't have the fanciest web site in the world, but it is mine, and if I need to change something, I can do it myself.
Now if this seems like too much of work, you are left with two choices, find a friend who can do this, get them drunk and make them promise to help you;-), or your last option is to pay someone to do your website for you. There are few quick points I'd like to make here; web design is time consuming job no mater how experienced the designer is, it just takes time, but the days of paying fortune for a web site are gone. So shop around, ask for references and when you settle for one, follow the progress, as it is easier to change things during the building process. Make sure you are happy with the final product before you part with your hard earned money.
 
Today’s and last week blog had lots to do with setting up the basic Internet presence and social media. But setting up all this is just a start; you need to keep adding new material regularly. You can see on my Facebook page and profile that I am pretty active. But at the same time keep it relevant. It is nice to share what goes on in your career, and even sometimes personal life, but don't over do it either. This just leads to people blocking you out. Also I am also trying to post at least one new video every week on my youtube channel, and I would love to know what you think of them :-)

Signup for my Mailing List

* required

Email *:

Groups - please select the group(s) you would like to subscribe to:

Fans
Street Team
 

No comments:

Post a Comment