Wednesday, October 27, 2010

On a shoestring project part 9

I can't seem to be able to navigate through the maze of music business with out finding behind every corner something new to learn. Stuff I thought I have done, and know how to do. But things change and in music business they change fast. So as I mentioned before, I am hoping to get a download single out for Christmas. This is one of my tracks that are on my MySpace page and on the Reverbnation player, Glory to the world. And instead of just using one of the album tracks, I recorded an acoustic version of the song. I did my research on who I would like to use as my digital distributor, and I settled for AWAL. They don't charge a setup fee as lots of other companies do, instead they charge 15%. This to me is reasonable, and I also got good reports on them actually pushing your tracks (sure as they only get money if you sell). So I have the track, have my artwork set up, Press release, bio, all the necessary track info. But I need an ISRC code... So what is it and where do I get one... And this is all fine, but the clock is ticking and time is running out...

Ok so let’s calm down. And what do we do when we are stuck? Turn to our dear friend Mr Google. ISRC stands for International Standard Recording Code. It is a number code used to identify a track so that if the track gets played in Radio, TV, background music in a Restaurant, shops etc. They know who the artist is and can distribute royalty payments. This is what it looks like:
ISRC FR - Z03 - 98 - 00212
The first part is to identify that it is an ISRC code, the FR is country code, the Z03 is registrant code (Record Company, producer...) the 98 stands for the year, and the rest is designation code.
I know it can look scary and daunting, but it is there to serve the artist. In Ireland this code is provided by PPI (Phonographic Performance Ireland) and their web site is http://www.ppiltd.com
I have made a big effort in the past year and a bit to get to know the music business much better, but this was something that had been done by some one else in the past. This code is now compulsory for download tracks iTunes etc. So I emailed PPI and to my delight, they got back to me almost instantly. I gave them my track info and personal details, and I should have the code tomorrow. AWAL can do this for you as well, but I do believe you are better off being in charge of your own royalties. I know we all would love to be just the artist who creates the music and performs it, but times have changed. We need to be as much a business man (or a woman), as original and inventive artist. Also I personally find that time management has become very important issue. And keeping things organized is important, list your Social media sites on spread sheet, with pass words and so on. I use Open Office, very powerful free software. The work load at this stage is huge, and I can only imagine it getting bigger the further I get on with this project. But that’s why you need to love it, and that’s goes with everything in life. I often get inspiration and encouragement from completely outside music, from people who do what ever they do with love and passion.
Now I talked little bit about the social media sites, and I have started compiling the link list. But I still feel like I am only scratching the surface, so bare with me on this one.
Also on the recording front, I came across recording software that I must say; so far I am very impressed. This is called Reaper and you can get free 30 day full trial of the program, and if you like it, the licence for personal or small business use is only $40, roughly about €29. You can find this at http://www.reaper.fm (don’t worry, I am not on commission here)
Now I must warn you, the editing method is bit different, and it took me few days to get my head around it. But I can see the logic behind it and once you get speed this can really be fast way of working. Also the effect plugging that come with it, are pretty impressive.
So that’s this week info load. If there is any aspect you would like me to tackle here let me know. Also I do love comments and feedback :-) Hope you're all having a good autumn and keep your selves warm.

1 comment:

  1. I Just came a cross a digital distribution company who advertised that they offer free ISRC code set up. In Ireland you don't need to pay for the set up of your ISRC code (in US you do). It took me two Emails, and in few hours I had my code. If you are in Ireland and after reading this blog still don't know what to do, contact me. I can help.

    ReplyDelete