Wednesday, January 12, 2011

On a shoestring project part 20

  I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but blog number 20! How time flies. As with most musical projects, when I first started, I thought by now we would be further in the recording. But these things take time, and putting a strict time schedule in to a creative process just does not work. At the best of times it is only a guide line. So now we have a bit of a rehearsal room problem... meaning by the end of the month we need to find a new rehearsal space. We were sharing a room with two other bands, but now all the amps and drums of three bands just won't fit in to one room anymore, and as we were the new band in the room it is only fare that we'll go. So now I need to shop around all the possible rehearsal rooms around Dublin, or any other suitable space (with very understanding neighbours...). Unfortunately this will once again delay the recording somewhat, especially the drums, but never the less I will get on recording guide tracks and some guitar parts.
  In the mean while I will continue on the subject of the basic recording set up. The week before last we talked about the computer, if you missed it check out the week 18 blog, and in last weeks blog we talked about the audio interface. So the next thing you need is a microphone. And once again there is overwhelming selection in the market. I have rambled on about microphones in the past blogs, put I'll just go through the basics quickly here. First of all there are two basic types of microphone (actually three, but I will exclude ribbon microphones here), dynamic and condenser. Surprisingly lot of detail goes in to the inner workings of a microphone, but the basics are as follows: Microphone converts sound pressure (your voice) in to an electrical current. Dynamic microphone, Shure SM58 probably being the most common example here, are rugged work horses that take more abuse, can handle moisture and can produce pretty loud sound before feedback becomes a problem. Condenser microphones have higher out put and the frequency response is in general much better. But also because of this they are pretty sensitive to feedback in live situations, so mostly used in studio environment. Most Condencer microphones require phantom power from the mixing desk, or from your audio interface. The general rule would be to use Condencer microphone in studio, when you need anything with lot of detail, like Vocals, Acoustic guitar, Drum overheads and also I like mixing Condenser and Dynamic microphones when I record electric guitar amps. Dynamic microphones are used when the sound source is loud and moves lots of air, like drums. I was told about month and a half ago in certain music shop in Dublin, that my trusted Shure beta 57 is not really recording microphone and that it is only really good for live sound... Just proves the point that you should not always just take advice from a music shop sales person, who just wants to sell you a product. I actually listen to them some times and just let them go on and I just pretend to know nothing. I know weird, but it keeps me entertained ;-)
  If you can afford to spend the money on condenser microphone, go for it. And the price of them has come down a lot in the past ten years or so. But if you are stuck and you have a dynamic microphone already, don't let this stop you recording. There are some very famous singers that prefer to record their vocals with dynamic microphones. It might just require bit more careful microphone technique, but despite what our friend in the music store says, it can be done ;-). As to what microphone you should buy, again you need to go out try few, see what you like. I wrote a short review of the AKG perception 220 on week 14 blog, and I like it. Rodes are great for the money as well. On dynamic microphones, I am a big fan of Shures microphones. But as I said, go out and try few and see what you like.
  So that is your basic recording set up. On top of this, some studio monitors or headphones are a must, preferably both, but the basics are here.
  Next I’m moving to something completely different. I just finished reading Keith Richards book “Life” and I must say I was really positively surprised. He goes in to a lot of detail of the song writing process and recording of many of the Rolling Stones albums. This is a good read for any songwriter, let alone a Keith Richards fan ;-)
  Anyway, what's in the plans for this week? Lucky enough we still have few weeks in our old rehearsal room. So back rehearsing this week after the holiday break. Can't wait :-)






Glory to the World - Single - J.P. Kallio

No comments:

Post a Comment