Wednesday, July 27, 2011

On a shoestring project part 48

Part 48

  I had an idea to write about royalty payments in music, and how they work this week, but I've been on the road with Sliotar and just didn't have time for the research, but we'll come back to that at later date. The response to our Punk Rock Mayhem show has been unbelievable so far :-) More bands have contacted me than I could ever put on the bill. But this just makes me think we might just run this more often, but we'll see how the first one goes first ;-)

  I am writing this week’s blog in a very nice hotel in Prostejov, in Czech Republic. For the past few days I have been at a wonderful Celtic music festival called the Keltska Noc. When you get to play at festivals, you do end up spending lot of time outside, and very often the festivals can be away from towns. At this festival we stayed in a cabin, on the camping grounds of the festival, so the hotel is a nice change. This got me thinking about some practical tips for touring. I have read blogs about this subject in the past, and thought I would have my own say in this subject. By touring here I talk about tours longer than few days, for example Sliotar Summer 2011 tour is 7 concerts in 15 days. In Sliotar terms that is a short tour. We have done anything up to 6 weeks. On tour there is always constant battle between being comfortable and making money. You see, it might sound romantic sleeping on people floors, but if musicians are not well rested, I would not expect a brilliant gig... And comfort costs money. You end up digging in to your gig fees, which is the money you should be holding on too. Websites like booking.com are great, and more in advance you book, the better deals you will get, if you can afford it, I would recommend to book separate rooms. The long drives and waiting for gigs is lot of time to spend with your band mates, and you will need your own space as well. But do work with in your budget, there is no point spending €100 per person, if the gig only pays around the same...

  Water, this is your only friend! Drink lots of water, several litters a day. Being on the road dehydrates you, long drives, spending time outside, or in air-conditioned rooms. Also alcohol... I am not going to tell you not to drink. I do understand the importance of socializing and connecting with your audience even after a concert, and that’s when lot of networking is done as well. But just be careful, if you are drinking a lot on the road, your body gets used to the alcohol and you end up drinking more and more... I've had some wild times on the road in the past, but now I try not to drink before a concert, I find my vocals suffer from even a small amount of alcohol. But this is just me, and every one to their own. Food wise I’ve seen lots of advice on how to eat cheap on the road and the world famous burger fast food chain comes up all the time. OK, you don't always have time, or money for a nice meal, but for the love of your own body I would highly recommend against the “Golden arches”. If you only have time for fast food, kebab is much better option. And when you do have a chance, eat a proper meal. If you are staying at hotels, do use the breakfast. I know it sounds like nice option just to sleep to the last minute, but your body will thank you for setting alarm for breakfast and even going back to bed for few more hours. Some people are great at sleeping during travel; I'm bad unless I am completely shattered. But yeah, you do need sleep; coffee can only get you so far... Bananas are good source of potassium and energy, and it is always a good idea to have some multivitamins with you. It is surprising how fast your immune system goes down, and being sick on the road is no fun at all. That’s all the tips this week, I shall continue more on the subject later.

  Also I thought to share with you another video from our concert in the Pint few weeks back. Here is a song called Misery. The bass is bit low in the beginning, but you'll get the idea :-) I'll leave you with this and back for more next week.

J.P.








Glory to the World - Single - J.P. Kallio

No comments:

Post a Comment